Friday, February 17, 2012

Sal Rodriguez


Best of Times

Please excuse the headline -- Jamie requested puns, so you know...

But in all honesty, 2011 was a great year for me. I was able to work at two great internships, continue growing the publication I started, and I finally turned 21 -- that pretty muchguarantees a good year.

At the tail end of my junior year, I got to to start a year-long internship with Marc Lacey, the New York Times' Arizona Bureau chief. Marc was a great mentor and allowed me to assist on many of his stories. Among the highlights from the internship were attending an American riding of the bulls and going to a research center filled with brains.

In between my NYT gig, I also got to spend the summer in LA working for the Times publication on that coast for my Chips Quinn internship. Working for the Los Angeles Times was an awesome experience that allowed me to live in one of the most interesting places in the country and pushed me to grow as a journalist. And being able to follow in the footsteps of so many of the Chipsters before me was pretty cool too.

Back at school, I took classes and whatnot, but what I'm most proud of is how the publication I started continued to grow. After working with a dozen or so staffers in years past, the Downtown Devil blew up to more than 80 journalists this past semester. We won our first award, and the end of this semester marked our first passing of the torch. For the first time I will not be one of its active leaders, but I'm excited to see how the younger journalists I've watched grow will prosper at the helm of the publication.

Hope 2011 was as kind to you all as it was to me, and here's to 2012 (exercises that special ability one legally gains when they turn 21).




No comments:

Post a Comment